Saturday, February 13, 2016

Ash Wednesday, 2016



What are we going to do for lent? We don't have these questions with other holidays. We know what to do and how to celebrate. We have a vague idea that we ought to do something penitential - if we can remember what that means. We think about giving something up. Maybe we think about taking on some sort of discipline - we will pray more or give more. It used to be quite popular to give up chocolate (or wine or TV). I have friends who give up Facebook or plastic bottles. What are we trying to accomplish? What end are we seeking.

The discipline of giving up or taking on begins with discernment. What part of us is in need of revision? What burden are we tired of carrying? How can we most effectively make room for God in our lives?

We know that it is useless to try and improve ourselves in order to impress God. The harder work is letting go of impressing ourselves. We try to be humble and there is also a little part of ourselves that is secretly proud of our success. If we can make through all of lent! Aren't we cool to give up Twitter! Maybe some of us should try it for forty days!

Maybe we recognize our little pride in the midst of humility and we can laugh at ourselves. Maybe we have more earnest concerns. We find ourselves in the grip of some difficult habit or addiction. Maybe we have lost an important relationship. Maybe we don't even know what we have to do. Lent is a time to let go and make space. We fast to feel hunger. We give up to make room in our day in our over scheduled lives. We may have the ability to turn these disciplines into resources we can give away. Even as we turn inward we remember our neighbor as well.

Lent can be private and personal. We are not alone on our journey. This is not another way that we are forced to create our own personal religion, tailored to our tastes and needs. Jesus reminds us to fast and pray, and to extend our hand to the poor. God wants us to practice a religion of devotion, which is never complete without love for others.

We may be tempted to create for ourselves a perfect expression of love towards God. We may have deep and rewarding feelings of intimacy with God. We may feel ready to experience the joy of resurrection. Then we gather together as the people of God and we find ourselves stuck in the midst of a bunch of imperfect people.

In my private place of prayer I may be quite ignorant of how far we all have to go. Jesus gives us to one another to help us set aside all these illusions of perfection. I can see how far my friend has to go. My friend can help me find my way as well. I am not so perfect. I have my blind spots. I cannot see what I never experience. I need my broken friends to help me bear my own brokenness.

I often think that people who say that they are spiritual but nit religious are like people who say that they are athletic but never exercise. I'm not so sure it will last. I know why many people claim to be spiritual but not religious. They want to be rid of the hypocrisy and narrow mindedness of the outspoken devout. we need to be rid of this noisy and judgmental religion as well. Jesus doesn't want us to make a show. He does want us to do the work. This doesn't make us better than others, but it may make us better than we were.
This is the purpose. God always loves us. There is nothing we can add to this. We are also invited to live differently. Since we are loved, let us live ever closer into this love. It is time to let go of the things that are in the way. It is time to be open to what else may be possible. God loves us always. It is time to learn even more how we can love.

No comments:

Post a Comment